Sonntag, 17. Februar 2008

It was a disastrous first day...

On the 22nd of December I wanted to start with my travels on the North Island. I calculated three weeks time to explore everything. People who are acquainted with me know that whenever I am going on travels or similar things I first have a shower and start to pack afterwards – that’s my ritual. By the way, I have been living out of a suitcase for the last 4 years… so I really know what I am talking about. But on this very morning nothing worked the way I had planned it.
I got up at 5:00am and was just about to have a shower. However, and that is the way it all started: There was no water in our flat!!! Ok, I thought. Don’t worry. It might be only temporary. So I started to pack my stuff first. I was supposed to move out of this room on that day as well. Every 10 minutes I checked if we had any water again… but nothing… the pipes were bone dry. At half past seven I got extremely impatient. I planned to pick up the rental car around 9:00am. So I called Jeremy and asked if I could have a shower at his place. Minutes later he came around picked me up and brought me to his place. After I was ready we went to the rental car office by bus. And there the next stupid thing happened. I realised that in all the morning hectic I had exchanged my bags, so I did not have my driver’s licence with me, but my toothbrush… Yes, unbelievable, but nevertheless absolutely typical. Bad things never come alone, at least in three. Fortunately, I was accompanied by Jeremy, so we used his driver’s licence to pick up the car. Then we went to town to handle another typically stupid thing. The day before I had brought back all the books I had borrowed from the library. But when I came home that evening I realised that I had forgotten one single book!! ARRRGH!! So, I had to go there that morning again. Afterwards, I picked up the trousers I had brought to the tailor the day before. Then I posted a letter for my little goddaughter Rafaela… sorry that it took me such a long time to reply, but I have heard you were so delighted about it that you jumped into the air happily – That’s the reaction I had expected!
But this was not all yet. I could not find my camera. The day before, I had used it in the Early Years Centre, so I guessed that it was still there. Luckily I was in the possession of the key for the building. So we had to get there und yeah, I found my camera at once! Puhhh!
After all this stress, Jeremy invited me for breakfast – Eggs Benedict – yumyumyum!
When we were finished with loading my entire luggage in the car, Jeremy already gave me my Christmas present. You know those cassettes you put in your car radio with a wire connection for your MP3-player. I am sure there’s an expression for it, however, I can’t think of it now. Anyhow, so I was able to listen to my music during my travels. Thanks Jeremy! That was a very good idea, since the radio reception here in New Zealand can be absolutely miserable.
After we went to the Car Rental office again to show my driver’s licence I was ready to head off, to leave Wellington for the first time after 3 ½ months. I was absolutely excited, but admittedly tired as well. Actually I intended to leave Wellington around 11:00am, but at this time it was already 2:00pm. So Jeremy did me another favour. He drove with his car in front of me out of Wellington, so I just had to follow him without concentrating on any signs… Thanks! But nevertheless I still had a long drive ahead. After saying good bye to Jeremy the bad luck came back… I was stuck in a traffic jam!!!!! Yes a traffic jam! Here in New Zealand on a Saturday afternoon, heading north!! My gosh! And that for 2 hours! Ah, by the way, driving on the left hand side is no big deal. But attention: “Always account for the stupidity or ignorance of other people!”
Finally around 4:00pm I was free and made all way up to the Tongarriro National Park Village. I arrived there between 7:00 and 8:00pm. I can tell you, whenever you get the opportunity to fill up your car with petrol here in New Zealand, do it! It’s amazing-sometimes you can drive for hours, and there’s nothing, no civilization, no petrol stations – Wow! Some people experience that as a little bit spooky, other ones hugely enjoy it! I had mixed feelings. I enjoyed the landscape but felt a little bit lost sometimes. Nevertheless, I reached my aim and stayed with French, Brazilian, Kiwi and German people in a lovely backpackers.



Mt Ruapehu

7 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Hey das war ja ein abenteuerlicher Start! Aber du hast es ja doch noch geschafft...;-) Das erste Landschaftsmotiv sieht aus wie gemalt...echt schön!

Gruß, Anika

Andi hat gesagt…

Hehe, ich kenn die Geschichte ja schon, aber es ist trotzdem immer wieder lustig, wie verrückt so ein Tag eigentlich beginnen kann. Aber dafür haste ja Talent. Ich kenn das gut von dir, hab ich ja schon oft genug miterlebt :D

Auch sehr gelungen find ich den Satz: "So we had to get there und yeah, ..." Echt cool! Und ich habs auch genauso gelesen ;-) lustig!

Ah 3 Stunden Verspätung, das is doch noch alles absolut im Rahmen. Bei dem ganzen Zeugs, was du vorher noch getan hast, mehr oder weniger unfreiwillig! Auf jeden Fall is das bei mir ja auch immer so :-)

Und das erste Bild hier ... das ist sau geil. Das sollte doch glatt mal nen Preis gewinnen! Gefällt mir echt mega gut!

In Liebe, dein Andi

Anonym hat gesagt…
Der Kommentar wurde von einem Blog-Administrator entfernt.
Anonym hat gesagt…
Der Kommentar wurde von einem Blog-Administrator entfernt.
Anonym hat gesagt…
Der Kommentar wurde von einem Blog-Administrator entfernt.
Anonym hat gesagt…
Der Kommentar wurde von einem Blog-Administrator entfernt.
Anonym hat gesagt…
Der Kommentar wurde von einem Blog-Administrator entfernt.