Sonntag, 17. Februar 2008

Tongariro Crossing

The next day I got up early to catch the bus shuttle to the Tongariro Crossing. On my way over there I could see the summit of Mt Ruapehu. Minutes later the peak was covered by clouds. Nevertheless the view of Mt Ngauruhoe and Mt Tongariro was breathtaking.
When I managed the first steep part of the walk I met a German. After a small talk we realised that we had more than just the same backpack in common, we were both walking alone… so we decided to join each other for the rest of the Crossing. Actually that was a very good idea, because I was a little bit worried about my knee. Nearly one year ago, I got terrible problems with my knee. Now, I am not able to run anymore, although running was and is my great passion. I hope, one day I will be in shape again for a marathon. I still hope to find a competent doctor, when I am back in Germany. My gosh!!! I am only 21 years old! So in case, somebody who can recommend a qualified doctor reads this, tell me!!!! I will be more than grateful!
Most of the walk I managed without any pain, but the last two hours I had to wear my uncomfortable and mostly useless bandage. I could not really enjoy it. I can tell you… I learnt to love climbing uphill more than walking or running downhill, because I know I won’t have any problems with my knee on the way to the top.
Nevertheless the view of the mountains and all the other natural wonders more than compensate for the pain associated with it.
Just to give you a gist of what this Great Walk is like, here a few sentences out of my tourist guide:
“Reputedly the best one-day walk in New Zealand. The walk traverses spectacular volcanic geography, from an active crater to steaming vents. And the views ain’t bad either. It covers the most spectacular features of the Tongariro Northern Circuit between the Mangatepopo and Ketetahi Huts…The track passes through vegetation zones ranging from alpine scrub and tussock, to places of higher altitude where there is no vegetation at all, to the lush podocarp forest as you descend from Ketetahi Hut towards the end of the track.” (Lonely Planet – New Zealand; p. 315-316)

Additionally I did a side trip from the main track to the summit of Mt Tongariro. From there we had a stunning view of Mt Ngaurahue. But as soon as we got back onto the main track a cloud came quickly and the summit of Mt Tongariro was gone. We can be so happy, that we had been there in the right time.

This walk is definitely a special one. You obtain the impression being on another planet. Marvellous! And it is definitely worth a journey for all Lord of the Ring fans.
Hope, you guys enjoy the pics!!!



































One of my favourites!








7 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Wow, das sieht beeindruckend aus, wie auf einem anderen Planeten!!!
Das ist wirklich eine Reise wert!
Gott sei Dank hast dus trotz deiner Schmerzen im Knie geschafft da hoch zu steigen. Ich wusste garnicht dass du damit immer noch Probleme hast. Da muss sich echt mal ein Arzt drum kümmern wenn du wieder zurück bist!

Liebe Grüße

Anika ;-)

greg hat gesagt…

hi yvonne,
klingt so, als hättest du durch die ewige arbeiterei genug zusammengespart, es dir endlich gut gehen zu lassen! habe mir gestern erst noch daniela schneiders neuseelandbilder im netz angeguckt. und heute dann deine hinterher... da bricht schon das fernweh wieder aus. genieß jedenfalls den sommer down under, hier friert es seit tagen, obwohl... sonnenschein haben wir auch ordentlich. viel spaß beim wandern und viel glück mit dem knie. oder anders ausgedrückt: hals- und kniebruch!
liebe grüße aus mayen/koblenz,
greg

Anonym hat gesagt…

Hi Schwesterherz,
boaaaah ist das eine tolle Landschaft, wusste garnicht, dass es solche überhaupt auf unsrem Planeten gibt... So viele verschiedene Farben und Fassetten, Landschaften mit Bergen, die wahrscheinlich irgendwann mal Vulkane gewesen sind und jetzt schön grün überwachsen sind, einfach unglaublich. Da möchte man gltt ins Bild reinsprngen!!!
Hoffe das´mit deinem Knie geht irgendwann mal wieder weg, damit sich dann dein Wunsch einen Marathon zu laufen noch erfüllt.

Viel liebe Grüße :-x
Nicki

Anonym hat gesagt…

Sorry. Look please here

Andi hat gesagt…

Also ich scheiter schon beim Lesen dieser komischen Namen der Berge, Aussprechen hab ich noch nicht einmal probiert. Wird wohl au besser so sein ;-)

Also die Bilder könnten nicht schöner sein. Das sind ja vielleicht Farben, unglaublich! Nur schade, dass das Knie das Ganze ein wenig überschattet hat. Aber ich finds ja schon mal gut, dass du nun doch wieder daran glaubst, dass es wieder wird und du irgendwann deinen Marathon laufen kannst. Ich denk auch, das wird. Und den passenden Onkel Doc werden wir schon finden!

Liebe Grüße

Anonym hat gesagt…

Hi Yvi!
Echt beeindruckend, was du alles so zu sehen bekommst...
Da könnte man glatt neidisch werden! ;-)
Wünsche dir, dass du den Rest deiner Reise ohne Schmerzen durchstehen kannst.
Wohne mittlerweile ganz in der Nähe deiner Koblenzer Wohnung.
Lg Danica

Yvonne hat gesagt…

Hach Danica,

von dir hab ich ja schon ewig nix mehr gehoert... schade eigentlich.
Aber nu... hm, ich wohn da in Koblenz ja nun nicht mehr. Aber dennoch Gratulation. Das ist ne super Gegend. Hm,... mal schaun, wo ich in zwei Monaten mein Nest bauen werde... Freu mich shcon drauf, euch alle bald wieder zu sehen!!! HIhihiiiii!!!